I am so excited to finally share this with you!
A few months ago, I worked like a crazy person to get ready for my first official article on summer styling tips for plus-size women. Be Healthy Be Beautiful is a free local quarterly magazine in Ottawa that covers beauty and fashion in the area.
Because space was limited, my article was cut back a bit. So, here is the complete version.
There is no real secret to being a plus-size fashionista. Often times, the same rules apply. Most women love their summer clothes, but the reality for plus-size women is that summer can bring on major fashion challenges. The constant sticky and sweaty mess is one thing, but not being able to hide behind clothes is another. Common struggles include showing more skin and the fear of baring legs and arms. Feeling comfortable in your skin is part of any fashionista’s journey to self-acceptance. It’s all about finding tricks that work for you. If you are looking for inspiration, these 10 plus-size fashion tips should help guide you in creating flawless style this summer.
- Know your body type. Don’t focus on size. Women come in all shapes, length and weight, from plus-size to petite.
- Invest in classic, quality and versatile pieces. A good pair of jeans or a well fitted blazer will go a long way.
- Get your clothes tailored. When clothes fit well, they look more expensive and make you feel amazing.
- Don’t splurge on trends. Stay stylish with brands that offer temporary and trendy at a bargain price.
- Accessorize to the max with quality jewelry, shoes and hand bags.
- Find inspiration online and in magazines and keep track of your favourite outfits.
- Stick to natural materials, like cotton and linen, to help keep you dry and breezy.
- Put some effort in your hair and makeup. It’s amazing how it can boost your confidence.
- Clean out your closet seasonally and rediscover some old favourites.
- Supportive undergarments are key to looking sleek and supported.
The most important thing women should remember is to know your body shape, know what flatters you most, have your own style, exude confidence at all times and most importantly…have fun playing in your closet!
Women who chose not to show their legs in the summer should opt to wear lose trousers made of thin cotton or linen. Maxi skirts and dresses are also a great way to stay breezy and covered.
For women who want to cover their arms, a light cotton cape or lose cardigan does the trick.