This time of the year calls for the “Dryfecta”. It’s a brutal combination of the cold weather, the dry air from indoor heating and if you’re fortunate enough, post-vacation suntanned skin. That’s what I have right now. I just came back from my trip to Hawaii and I am in dire need of Vichy’s moisture cocoon routine to nurture and hydrate my dry skin back to good vibrant health. With a combination of drinking loads of water (using a fun bottle of course!), blasting a humidifier in every room, and hitting “loop” on my Vichy routine… I think I got this!
Ever since I have been blogging (just over 5 years now), I have shared my new years resolutions to hold me accountable. Setting goals is one thing, sticking to them and evaluating your progress is another. This exercise has kept me honest and really is a fun way to see where the year has brought me.
I have experienced some amazing opportunities this year. Looking back, some of the most memorable 2016 events in my blogging career where:
- Being asked to be a model for Smithery‘s website
- Being a part of the Nordstrom Ottawa Spring Influencer Campaign
- Invited to be a guest at Metro’s table for Diner en Blanc
- Meeting Jessica Mulroney and Meghan Markle at a private dinner
I’m not sure what everyone is talking about, but 2016 was good to me. Minus my health issues, which have always been there, I have experienced some amazing opportunities and have made some amazing friends this year. I have grown personally and professionally and I am thankful for each life experience that has been handed to me.
Last year’s goals were SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and measurable)… or so I thought they were! Let’s see if I held my promises.
- BUDGET-Get a grip on spending, pay off small credit card debt and start mega-saving. Allow me to explain… NO PROGRESS! I think I am at status quo here! hahaha
- HEALTH- Maintain weight loss and lose more if possible (no pressure). Maintain workout schedule and running. All this while protecting my lower back and shoulder. Ok, so I think I have maintained and maybe gained a few pounds. I did run a 5K marathon but did not maintain the running. I will blame this on my new endometriosis symptoms.
- FAMILY- More of it; time and members. Register Victor for swimming and gymnastics. Ok, I did register Victor for swimming and this post is reminding me that I need to do it again in the new year! More family members is a little complicated. I didn’t realize at the time that I was experiencing infertility caused by my endometriosis. But getting answers for my stomach issues was on my list and one year later, I have a whole new set of issues to deal with from surgery to IVF!
- WORK & LIFE BALANCE- Find ways and time to tune out and to kick butt all at the same time. Still working on this one, it’s an ongoing struggle. Please tell me when you have found the answer.
- ART- Start painting and drawing again. I have done a few paintings with Victor, that should count for something! I would love to do a calligraphy course, though!
- MUSIC- Get guitar lessons and perform an open mike song. I’m a regular at Achoired Taste karaoke at the Belmont, but no official open mike with guitar in hand.
- VACATION- insert Italy/Armenia trip here. Also, See #1. Booked a trip to Hawaii in January! That has to count for something.
- WRITING- Start my first kid’s book, have an article published on Huffington Post and take on more paid work. More paid work, check! The rest we shall see.
- DECLUTTER- my life, my house, my friends, my stuff, my clothes. Getting there! I did a huge clothing sale which was an eye opener, but until I get a grip of #1… this will become a never ending vicious cycle. I am almost ready for another sale!
- MODE XLUSIVE- keep blogging, grow my Instagram account and do more TV gigs. Um, I think I nailed this one, what do you think?
- FIVE YEAR PLAN- Buy a second house as a rental unit. Calm down there, overachiever.
As for my 2017 goals? I want to keep them simple. These goals are not SMART at all, but more of a new frame of mind that I need to embrace.
- LESS- find peace of mind with doing less, owning less, spending less, buying less. I watched the documentary “The Minimalists” on Netflix and I loved their quote “Love people, use things. The opposite never works.”
- WEALTH- Money and knowledge. If I do well at #1, I will automatically have more money. I need to curve my spending and get my finances in tip top shape! I also want to learn more ( about digital strategy, video editing, growing my Instagram following, SEO) and travel- duh!
- HEALTH- I want to start exercising again, so I feel better and keep my weight off. I want my surgery date, and I want it to go well, and lastly I want Victor to have a sibling.
The rest is all lovely, but ultimately, if I don’t have a healthy body and mind, I can kiss the rest of these goals goodbye.
So cheers to you, my friends! Have a great NEW YEAR and I wish you all the best!
PS- my husband pointed out to me that the horseshoe in my hero image has to be upside down for good luck… oh brother! haha
“I’ll take 5 grandma underwears please!” is how I made my purchase at the cash yesterday… my sister next to me was mortified. The girl behind the cash snickered to herself because she was curvy and I know she was thinking “YASS gurl, function over looks!”.
WARNING- this post is 100% bonafide TOO MUCH INFORMATION (#TMI), so stop reading now… although I doubt you will!
The back story- I hate underwear. I hate when they are too tight when they give you wedgies when they are too loose and start falling down. I hate when the lines show, I hate how they create muffin tops… you get the picture. I often get asked to post about my undergarments, and I truly haven’t felt comfortable discussing it on my super duper high fashion blog (hahaha). But sometimes, you need this real talk. Women are genuinely looking for their gal pal secrets and its my turn to share mine!
Lately, I love Victoria Secret’s new High-Leg Brief Panty, 100% cotton, and 100% nona!
I love that they are wedgie-proof and stay where they should. They don’t have much tummy control, but that’s a whole other blog post. Sadly, I was thinking practical so I grabbed 3 beige, 1 black and 1 grey. I actually wear a size M, so they do run a bit large.
What’s your favourite underwear? Any secrets you’re willing to share? Do tell!
Ok, I have been holding on to this post in my drafts for almost 8 months. I have been desperately waiting to publish it, but I thought it would be cruel to do so in the winter. In anticipation of spring fashion, I am hitting send today! Yes, there is a snowstorm predicted for this afternoon, but I don’t care anymore. Let it be spring!
This was part of a series of photos that I did with Kristy Chapman Photography last summer. Enjoy!
In these pictures, I am wearing:
- Striped dress- The fifth purchased inside Fashion Truck Canada at Bluesfest last year
- White vest- Forever 21 + (see below for more options)
- Pre/owned- strappy Hilary Radley heels purchased at Clothes Encounters consignment shop
- Pre-owned/new- Gucci clutch (www.valamode.com luxury consignment)
- Prada Glasses (similar styles available at Merivale Optometric Centre)
- A-line watch
- Gold chain- Plato’s Closet in Barhaven